Monday, May 7, 2012

Wrap Up - Library Institute Spring 2012

Discovery Exercise -
1.  What was your biggest discovery?  My biggest discovery was the widespread availability of the databases. While I knew that there was access from the public libraries, I did not realize that there were so many additional rescources avaialable through the state library. I came into this class as a new librarian with very little experience using electronic resources and feel like I now have a solid handle on what is out there and the confidence to dive in and find the information.  The class guided me through the kinks, helped me understand how to restructure searches and troubleshoot and really narrow in on the desired information. These skills will be widely applicable as I navigate the resources available and work with patrons. Already, I have used the databases in some of my own research and am quick to jump to the online resources for patrons with research requests. Overall, the entire class has been a solid discovery process with a positive outcome. Thank you!

2.  How will you promote or use the resources with your patrons, colleagues or students?  Currently, our library website (which really does need to be updated) provides links to several of the electronic resources available through the state library. While this promotes quick access, I would say that most of our patrons are not aware of the scope and diversity of information available.  To promote the resources, I will list them on our facebook page, direct patrons to them for research and provide more indepth information to the homeschool families and students of all age levels that regularly use the library.  As a children's librarian, I will include the databases in challenges for students and encourage them to utilize the resources in their schoolwork.

1 comment:

  1. We are glad to hear that this Challenge was a positive learning experience for you, Librarianne! CONGRATULATIONS on completing the Challenge! You have some good ideas for promoting the e-resources, and we are happy to know that you are already finding ways to use them with your patrons. We look forward to working with you during Institute in June.

    ReplyDelete