Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lesson 3: SIRS Issues Researcher and Discoverer

1.  Using SIRS Discoverer, I searched for mountain lions and came up with several articles containing information relevant to basic facts about the animal, sightings in various areas, common fallacies, living among mountain lions and much more. The first article that I selected is from National Geographic Explorer; it examined three big cats, but did cover mountain lions in an adequate fashion. The photographs are fantastic -- animated, active and sure to catch the attention of a student. I would place the reading level at approximately 4th-6th grade. It is important to note that while the article contains several challening vocabulary words, most are linked to defnintions, an excellent tool. The next article I selected read much like a newspaper editiorial and seemed to be directed toward adults. I do not think that it would have been helpful for an elementary or middle school student, but could contain useful information and opinions for a high school student looking for diverse sources and who is able to sort through prose to find useful facts. This article did not contain any photographs, and I was not very interested in reading it as a result. The final article that I reviewed is from Boy's Life and proved to be an exciting read. It grabbed me with the first sentence and moved through the material in a scholarly, but accessible and animated manner that would prove most interesting and accessible to elementary and middle school students.

2.  Database Features - I explored this section of SIRS Discoverer by selecting Monaco in "country facts." The information located there is quite similiar to the information provided by World Book Online Reference Center -- population, climate, economic information, etc. I did note and enjoy the teacher resources section as well.

I explored the Maps of the World section by sifting through several pages of maps in search of a map most likely applicable and acceptable for students in grades K-9.  I settled on a map titled "The Abolition of Slavery 1777-1865." This is a U.S. map that color-codes states and territories according to the acts and dates that freed the slaves in that state or territory. This map could be used when researching topics ranging from the Civil War to slave populations, the Great Migration and other post-emancipation developments and social movements.

I explored the Biographies section by searching for Rachel Carson. The process was quite straightforward, as there was only one match for my search. I was able to access several articles that contained standard biographial information in addition to anecdotes appropriate for elementary and middle school students. Several contained photos of both Carson and the animals and environmental causes that she advocated. I think that by isolating biographies within the database features, SIRS has created a quick and easy way to refine a search to only biographical articles. In this way, it is quite accessible and time efficient.






SIRS Issues Researcher
1.  Using SIRS Issues Researcher, I selected Gay Rights by searching leading issues by topic. I began exploring the issue by reading the topic overview -- I found the overview itself to be a bit pejorative in nature, but I do understand that SIRS is trying to be both objective and instructive to a young audience. However, I do feel that extreme care should be taken when introducing young people to the topic of human rights. I found the "terms to know" section helpful and easy to locate.  Additonally, the inclusion of maps to illustrate statistical data helped to quantify the information contained in the articles. I think that the research tools are an excellent resource and help to make difficult topics accessible for middle-high school students. Additionally, these tools enable students to quickly find answers to questions that they may be uncomfortable addressing with a teacher, librarian or family member. I found the "pro/con and essential questions" section to be most helpful as well. I am slighlty concerned that some students, especially younger people, might assume the the scope of the gay rights issue is limited to these five questions.

2.  Curriculum Pathfinders - In this section of Issues Researcher, I selected "nutrition."  At first, I was a bit overwhelmed by the number and diverse nature of the articles that appeared. However, I quickly located the "narrow your results" section on the left side of the page. There, I easily navigated through dynamic graphics, located the topic overview and took particular interest in the food and nutrition timeline found in the reference section. I found this topic much more straightforward and objectively presented than the gay rights issue. The discrepency is a bit troubling, but understandable given the sensitivity of the gay rights issue and the lack of controversy associated with nutrition. Overall, I think that Issues Researcher is a strong tool that makes top-rate information searchable and accessible for middle-high school students and adults.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Librarianne, thank you for your thorough comments. We think both SIRS databases are valuable for young readers, especially for help with school assignments. Re: Issues Researcher: the editors strive for balance, and where controversy exists, they acknowledge that. This is a place where students can access unblocked information on controversial topics, as opposed to trying to access information on the open web within their schools. Most teachers use Curriculum Pathfinders to locate good websites on their topic--a great timesaver. We think SIRS Discoverer is a great resource for libraries, since it provides selected text from more children's magazines than any library could subscribe to on its own.

    ReplyDelete